The first record of curling in Superior was in 1893, the first rink being outdoors in the East End of Superior. In 1895, pioneer curlers raised funds to build a new indoor facility. The new building covered two sheets of curling ice surrounded by a skating area. In 1908 shares were sold to build a new club on the corner of Oakes and Belknap. When completed, the club had five curling sheets and a 70 x 145 ft skating rink.
In the early 1900s, curling was so successful that a second club was built. The "Eastern Curling and Skating Club" consisted of 3 sheets and a skating rink. However, many curlers went off to fight in W.W. II, forcing this second club to close in 1943. In 1925, the Superior Curling Club expanded its main facility on Oakes and Belknap. Seven new sheets of ice, a new kitchen, and a viewing area were added. In 1935, heavy snow collapsed the walls on the skating side of the building and was rebuilt with WPA money, but the curling club members had to cede their rights of ownership to the city in turn for a long term lease.
During the late 1980s, a modern new four sheet club was built at the Head of the Lakes Fairgrounds. Superior curlers worked out an agreement with the city and county on the funding of the club. The county and city contributed two dollars for every club dollar, and the curlers put in many thousands of hours in the actual construction of the new club. The club has emerged as a leader in promoting the sport of curling and has provided all levels of competition for its members. Curlers from our club have won many state, national and international curling competitions in the past, and hopefully, will continue the tradition in the future.
For a more detailed history of our club, you can purchase a copy of the book Curling Superiority.